If you’re a side sleeper and have been struggling to get a good night’s sleep, there’s a good chance a mattress topper for side sleepers will be a life-changing investment. Whether you need additional support in your particular side position or you just need the lush comfort of a mattress topper that feels like it’s enveloping you in luxury, a mattress topper for side sleepers is an inexpensive way to optimize your sleep.
We looked at all types of mattress toppers to determine which is the best option for you, looking at factors such as high-quality support, comfort, and cooling, but most importantly, for mattress toppers with features designed with side sleepers in mind. We chose the BedStory Memory Foam Mattress Topper as our top pick. It has a two-layer design that combines gel memory foam and support foam that contours to your body for the ultimate support.
If you opt for a mattress topper for side sleepers, you may discover unexpected benefits, as well. The one you choose may do anything from improving your digestion, your night sweats, and – of course – give you a great night’s sleep.
Our Top 5 Mattress Toppers for Side Sleepers
Here are our top picks. Compare the ratings and features of different models.
|BedStory Memory Foam Mattress Topper
|Gel Memory Foam
|Best for Budget
|EASELAND Queen Size Mattress Pad Pillow Top
|49 oz Fiber-Filled
|Elastic & Hollow Down Alternative Microfiber
|Best Memory Foam
|mecor 100% Gel Infused Memory Foam Mattress Topper
|Gel-Infused Memory Foam
|Sleep Innovations 4-inch Dual Layer Gel Memory Foam Mattress Topper
|Gel Memory Foam
|Best Down Alternative
|Oaskys Queen Mattress Pad Cover
|49 oz Fiber-Filled
|Elastic & Hollow Down Alternative Microfiber
*Ratings are on a scale of 1 to 5 and based on reviews, feedback, and opinions of actual customers
Who Should Buy a Mattress Topper for Side Sleepers
- Side Sleepers – A side-sleeping mattress topper is clearly an excellent option for anyone who sleeps primarily on their side. It’s important to note that, even if you’re not typically a side sleeper, there are several circumstances where you may want to consider becoming one. For example, sleep apnea is worsened by sleeping on your back, and that creates plenty of added health risks that you can avoid by switching your sleep position.1
- Toss-and-Turners – If you’re someone who falls asleep in one position and wakes up in another, with sheets tangled in your limbs, a proper mattress topper for side sleepers can keep you from tossing and turning so much in your sleep. If you toss and turn due to pain, the right mattress topper can help to prevent that pain in the first place, allowing you to sleep more soundly. Tossing and turning can have a negative impact on your quality of life, both at home and at work, so the benefit of getting that good night’s sleep is unquestionable!2
- Couples – Even if you’re not known for sleeping on your side (and neither is your partner), you may still want to check out mattress toppers for side sleepers. Any kind of cuddling will likely involve someone lying on their side, if not both, and the last thing you want is to punish your body for affection.
Who Should Not Buy a Mattress Topper for Side Sleepers
- Back Sleepers – No two ways about it: if you never sleep on your side, then you have no need for a mattress topper that’s specially designed for a side sleeper. Now, the caveat to that is that there are plenty of side sleeping mattress toppers that work for back and stomach sleepers, too – so if you want to cover all your bases, the multi-purpose toppers may still work best for you.
- If You’re Trying to “Fix” a Bad Mattress – A lot of times we’ll try “band-aid” fixes when a replacement is what’s really necessary. If your mattress is causing you pain, you can’t expect a mattress topper, no matter how excellent, to fix the problem indefinitely. It may help in the short term, but it’s important to understand that, no matter how much you invest in the topper, it’s a temporary fix.
Mattress toppers for side sleepers will need to have a few features to make them efficient. Here’s what to consider when selecting a mattress topper for side sleepers:
- Appreciate the memory foam – Memory foam is well-known for remembering its shape, but also contouring to your body to offer the most amount of support while you’re using it. That makes it an excellent option for side sleepers and a universally comfortable option for everyone.
- But don’t only look at memory foam – Don’t be seduced by memory foam alone. Not only are some memory foam mattress toppers made with poorer quality than others, but some alternatives may also offer the kind of comfort you prefer. There are down (or down alternative) mattress toppers that may not give you loads of extra support, but they will offer the kind of cloud-like opulence that helps soothe you into a deep sleep, cuddled for comfort.
- Consider cooling features – If you sleep “hot” then you’re no stranger to sweating through your sleep. A mattress topper, particularly a dense one, will likely only exacerbate the issue. Luckily, there are gel-infused and porous foams that will act as a cooling topper to keep you more comfortable. Down and down alternative mattress toppers will offer plenty of ventilation, but still may end up insulating your body heat rather than keeping you cool. Make sure to read the reviews to check!
- Don’t go too thin – If you’re hoping to find a down or down alternative topper, you’ll want to check the density to make sure it’s filled enough to give you support. This isn’t measured in inches, but rather ounces. The higher the density, the more support you’ll get. For foam mattress toppers, you’ll want a minimum of 2″ thick to give you the best support, and anything above 4″ is so thick that you may be better off just replacing the mattress. Keep in mind that the mattress topper will change the height of your bed and may make sheets difficult to fit.
How Much Do They Cost?
You can expect a mattress topper to be priced relative to its level of luxury, so you’ll find a wide range of costs when shopping for these products. You’ll find the occasional outlier, of course, but you should still expect a mattress topper for side sleepers to run somewhere between $100 to $200. Lucky finds can get you a quality mattress topper as low as $70, but you should think carefully before purchasing anything under that – the quality will likely be sacrificed for cost.
The Best Mattress Toppers for Side Sleepers: Full Reviews
The BedStory Memory Foam Mattress Topper will give you that extra support in the form of a memory foam topper. Its 2-layer ventilated design will keep you cool all through the night, and the foam itself is CertiPUR-US Certified. You’ll feel the difference with the added support you’ll get, as well. While you can generally expect that the thicker the topper, the more support, the truth is that with memory foam as dense as this, even the thinnest option of 2″ will still give you a noticeable improvement.
You may not notice the difference immediately, but once you become used to this quality mattress topper, you’ll see the longer-term benefits of sleeping with your body contoured and the pressure points being cradled.
- Removable, machine washable cover
- 2-layer cooling design
- Pressure-relieving support
- Faint chemical smell
- Prone to slipping off mattress
The EASELAND Queen Size Mattress Pad Pillow Top is a plush, down alternative fill that will give you the soft luxury feel of sleeping on a cloud. Though this may not be ideal for the side sleeper who requires more support, this is definitely a mattress topper that will create a more opulent sleeping experience.
This mattress topper comes in virtually every size imaginable, so whether your child needs it for her twin bed or you need it for your California king, this can be the budget-conscious choice that makes your family sleep better than ever.
- 100% cotton cover
- 49 oz elastic & hollow down alternative microfiber
- Fabric pocket prevents slipping
- Far thinner than memory foam options
- Compresses over time
The mecor 100% Gel Infused Memory Foam Mattress Topper is perfect for an addition to an already quality mattress that needs a little bit more support for side sleeping. The gel-infused memory foam will keep you cool and give your body the kind of bolster that you’ll need for pressure point relief.
The memory foam is CertiPUR-US Certified, so it’s durable and consistent. The manufacturer is so confident of its product’s quality that they offer not only a 30-day risk-free trial but also a three-year warranty. Though it comes compressed, this foam mattress topper will regain its proper shape and lose the foam smell after 48 hours of lying flat.
- Gel-infused for cooling
- 2″ or 3″ options
- 30-night risk-free trial
- Foam smell after unpackaging
- Inconsistent cooling effect
What we love best about the Sleep Innovations 4-inch Dual Layer Gel Memory Foam Mattress Topper is that it offers the best of both worlds. Not only is it a quality 2″ memory foam mattress pad for support, but it also offers a fiberfill top layer for that sleeping on a cloud feeling. Both these layers will promote a cooling sleep experience that will allow you to sleep uninterrupted through the night.
The depth of this mattress topper won’t impede your ability to fit a sheet to it, and the fiberfill top layer will help you keep the sheet and mattress topper in place. The top layer is easily separated from the memory foam and is machine washable, making it all the easier to maintain the topper for years to come.
- Memory foam and fiberfill
- Hypoallergenic design
- 10 year warranty
- Top layer loses shape over time
- Memory foam becomes more firm over time
The Oaskys Queen Mattress Pad Cover offers you extra padding which you’ll appreciate in a side-sleeping mattress topper, making it all the easier to slip into restorative sleep.
The fitted, deep-pocket design will allow you to secure the topper without worrying about it slipping to tangling into your limbs, even if you toss and turn. It should be mentioned, thought that the addition of this topper may just put you in a sound enough sleep that tossing and turning is no longer a problem for you.
- Microfiber down alternative filling
- Fitted pocket design
- Machine washable
- Loses shape over time
- No cooling effect
Frequently Asked Questions
What is a mattress topper for side sleepers?
How firm should a mattress be for a side sleeper?
Why are hotel mattresses so comfortable?
Is memory foam good for side sleepers?
Healing Daily uses only high-quality sources, including peer-reviewed studies, to support the facts within our articles. Read our editorial process to learn more about how we fact-check and keep our content accurate, reliable, and trustworthy.
- Walter LM, Dassanayake DUN, Weichard AJ, Davey MJ, Nixon GM, Horne RSC. Back to sleep or not: the effect of the supine position on pediatric OSA: Sleeping position in children with OSA. Sleep Med. 2017;37:151-159. doi:10.1016/j.sleep.2017.06.014.
- Kompier MA, Taris TW, van Veldhoven M. Tossing and turning–insomnia in relation to occupational stress, rumination, fatigue, and well-being. Scand J Work Environ Health. 2012;38(3):238-246. doi:10.5271/sjweh.3263
- Kovacs FM, Abraira V, Peña A, et al. Effect of firmness of mattress on chronic non-specific low-back pain: randomised, double-blind, controlled, multicentre trial. Lancet. 2003;362(9396):1599-1604. doi:10.1016/S0140-6736(03)14792-7