When you spend valuable time working out, you’ll want to make sure you’re getting the most out of that work out. In order to do so, you’ll need to make certain that your exercise regiment is going to give you optimal results, but if you’re interested in jump starting those results, then finding the right pre-workout supplement may be an excellent path. Finding a pre-workout supplement that is going to find a healthy balance to allow you to achieve your fitness goals may prove difficult, though. You need not stress the decision, though; we’ve done the work for you.
We reviewed dozens of pre-workout supplements to identify the best of the best. We’ve found the supplements that will give you an even, long lasting boost of energy to make sure you’re max performing your workout and those that will focus on developing or toning your muscles. Whether you’re interested in maintaining a optimal health, regaining a healthier lifestyle, or simply losing a few extra pounds, we have the pre-workout supplement for you.
While scouring the internet for the best pre-workout supplements, we found the Leanbean Fat Burner and it remained, all through our search, the obvious choice for best overall pre-workout supplements. With high doses of appetite suppressants and carefully selected vitamins and minerals to get the most out of your body for each workout, this pre-workout supplement is unequaled.
The 5 Top-Rated Pre-Workout Supplements
|Best Pre-Workout Supplement Overall||Leanbean Fat Burner||See Site|
|Best Pre-Workout Supplement for Women||Powher Pre-Workout for Women||See Site|
|Best Budget Pre-Workout Supplement||Six Star Explosion Powerful Pre Workout Powder||4.0|
|Best Pre-Workout Pills||Havasu Nutrition Extra Strength L Arginine||4.5|
|Best Pre-Workout Powder||ALPHA GX7 Pre Workout For Men and Women||4.3|
*Ratings are from Amazon at the time of publication and can change
Best Pre-Workout Supplement Overall: Leanbean Fat Burner
The Leanbean Fat Burner will give you an unrivaled dosing – with 180 doses each month, you can be sure that you will always have the proper fat burning supplements in your body, so whether you’re going to workout at 5 am or 8 pm, you’ll be covered! The manufacturer is responsible in its claims, too: They’re upfront in making clear that this isn’t a magic potion, you will absolutely still need to put in the work – but it can help you tick the right boxes to make sure you’re getting the nutrients you need to reach your goals faster than ever.
This pre-workout supplement utilizes Glucomannan, which is an appetite suppressant – and in a large enough dose that you can be sure you won’t be hungry before it’s time. It also has a high-fiber content that will form a gel in your stomach to burn more fat than you normally would. While it will give you a boost in energy through the natural ingredients, it won’t rely on heavy stimulants to do so.
Leanbean Fat Burner Key Features:
- 180 capsules included (30 day supply)
- Made with Glucomannan, fiber, and more
- All natural ingredients made in an FDA registered facility
Best Pre-Workout Supplement for Women: Powher Pre-Workout for Women
If you’re looking for a pre-workout supplement aimed at women’s fitness, check out Powher Pre-Workout for Women.
The Powher Pre-Workout for Women formula is designed to give you all you need to jump start your workout, without any of the typical artificial ingredients you may have come to expect from your other pre-workout supplements. Each ingredient is carefully selected for a purpose – for example, the coconut water power is chock full of electrolytes, to prevent any cramping or muscle spasms that can often come with an intense workout, and potassium is key in muscular and neurological function. So you can expect to complete your workout with big results – that don’t include charlie horse.
While the recipe does include caffeine, the boost in energy you’ll receive does not rely solely on a high dose of this stimulant to get you the energy you need to power through your workout. And even the caffeine that’s included is from a natural green coffee bean, so you won’t be faced with artificial stimulants.
Powher Pre-Workout for Women Key Features:
- Full transparency; no proprietary blends
- Low-stimulant; high energy
- 100% satisfaction guaranteed; 90-day money back guarantee
Best Budget Pre-Workout Supplement: Six Star Explosion Powerful Pre Workout Powder
The Six Star Explosion Powerful Pre Workout Powder will give you the energy you need to maintain a focus and motivation to complete your workout without the crash during or after. Each serving includes 125 mg of caffeine in a company specific blend that will give you the boost you need without the fillers.
If you’re looking for results, you’ll definitely appreciate the fact that people who used this supplement increased their overall strength by 18.6% more than those who did not. That is, those who took this supplement could bench press 18.6% more than those who did not and after just 10 days. That’s clearly a short amount of time to see such a difference, so you’re sure to feel your workout progressing fast when you use this supplement.
The numbers don’t lie and in the case of this pre-workout supplement, that’s nothing but good news. It has nearly 2,000 customer reviews and an overall rating of 4.0 stars on Amazon – not bad! The real selling point though is the price: You can pick up a 30 day supply of this supplement for under $13!
Six Star Explosion Powerful Pre Workout Powder Key Features:
- 7 flavor options
- 2 sizes available
- 0 carbs, sugar, or aspertame
Best Pre-Workout Pills: Havasu Nutrition Extra Strength L Arginine
The Havasu Nutrition Extra Strength L Arginine supplement will give your body a boost of extra strength by increasing your nitric oxide. By just this one addition (though the supplement contains more than just the one ingredient), your blood flow will improve and that will help your performance. During your workout, your increased circulation will make sure your muscles get the oxygen they need and that includes your brain, heart, lungs, and every other part of your body.
This supplement pill is made in an FDA-registered facility and third-party tested so you’ll be able to trust that this isn’t just some snake oil kind of manufactured pill that will do more harm than good. That also means that the claims of no preservatives, chemicals, sugars, or artificial ingredients can actually be trusted as true.
If you’re tempted but not convinced, let us put the icing on the cake for you: right around 4,500 customers have come back to leave their review on Amazon for this supplement and they’ve given it an impressive 4.5 stars overall rating.
Havasu Nutrition Extra Strength L Arginine Key Features:
- Buy more and save; Subscribe and Save, also available
- 60 capsules (30 day supply)
- 60-day money back guarantee
Best Pre-Workout Powder: ALPHA GX7 Pre Workout For Men and Women
The ALPHA GX7 Pre Workout For Men and Women includes ingredients that are clinically proven to provide you a huge burst of energy just minutes after drinking it. It boasts exclusively science-backed ingredients so if it’s in the formula, you can be sure that it’s for a reason and that reason is going to have a positive effect on your overall health. The ingredients are blended to offer you workout support that will increase your focus and strength, improve your performance, and maximize your energy.
The included taurine will give your body the lasting energy you need to complete your workout while the citrulline malate will fight the fatigue common that comes after your workout, too. And beyond the immediate and short lived benefits, you’ll also see L-carnitine for leaner muscle development and with faster results than you would otherwise see.
Well over 2,200 customer reviews suggest that the overall rating on Amazon is an accurate one and when the overall rating is 4.3 stars, that means you’re very likely to be one of this supplement’s satisfied customers.
ALPHA GX7 Pre Workout For Men and Women Key Features:
- 3 flavors available
- 250 mg caffeine
- Made in the USA
Who Should Buy a Pre-Workout Supplement
If you find yourself taking a while to get into the swing of each workout, a pre-workout supplement may be able to help you speed up the process. A good pre-workout supplement will make sure you have the energy you need to give your workout 100% from the second you begin to the moment you decide to end, and sometimes beyond. You’ll also be able to keep up with your ambitious exercise goals with a proper boost that will let you maintain a balanced energy level without dips and spikes. Finding the one that your body responds best to will be as individual as you are, and as such, supplements will respond differently with different people.
In order to make sure your body is primed for the work it’s about to get, taking a pre-workout supplement can ensure this result. For those of us who are interested in losing a few pounds, once we reach our weight loss goals, we often find that we’re not satisfied with just fewer pounds. You may very well adjust your goals at that point to include toning and muscular development. If you’re finding that you’re not getting the physical results you want from your workout, you may find a quick fix for that problem is as simple as finding the right pre-workout supplement. You’ll be able to tailor your supplement to your targets by finding a far burner, or a muscle builder.
Important Features to Consider
A pre-workout supplement should do several things well. Here’s what to consider when selecting a pre-workout supplement:
- Caffeine. Caffeine can do more than just give you the energy to get out of bed and start your day. Introducing caffeine into your system before a workout may just give you the extra energy to push yourself hard and allow you to get a more intense workout, with a longer duration, as well. If you use a pre-workout supplement with caffeine in it, you may want to watch drinking that after your regular caffeine; you may end up especially jittery with too much caffeine in your system. And additionally, you’ll need to keep in mind that caffeine can be addictive; if you skip your pre-workout supplement one day after a long line of days taking it in a row, you may get a headache, as well.
- B-Vitamins. If you find you don’t respond well to caffeine, or if you don’t want to risk developing a dependency on it, then you’ll want to find an alternative that will keep your energy levels high. While you may not see the same kind of boost to your energy right away, B vitamins will give you a bit more pep in your step, without the jitters or tolerance building that you can struggle with while on caffeine. Because of this, you may want to find a pre-workout supplement with B-vitamins even if you don’t mind the caffeine. In fact, if you’re not sensitive to caffeine, then you may be able to get the absolute most out of your supplement with a combination of B-vitamins and caffeine.
- Creatine. In the simplest possible way to think if it, creatine will go straight to your muscles and give you a burst of strength, allowing you to push harder for your workout. It won’t last indefinitely, but taking it right before your workout means you’ll get that extra boost to ensure you’ll be reaching your full potential each time you workout. If you are maximizing every workout, then you’ll build your strength and build your muscle mass faster.
- Hydration. A pre-workout supplement will undoubtedly need to consider hydration support. After you sweat, your body will need to replenish the water you’ve lost. Salt, calcium and magnesium in your pre-workout supplement will help you maintain your hydration levels so while you may otherwise try to avoid sodium, for the purpose of your workout, a bit of salt is more than allowed, it’s encouraged. The more hydrated you are, you’ll also notice, the better your body moves. You won’t get dizzy during your workout and you’ll be able to use your joints more easily without any extra pain. Staying hydrated will also prevent muscle cramping and charlie horse.
- Muscle Builders. In addition to preparing your body for the loss of hydration, you’ll also want to prime your body to make the most of your workout. Protein is one such source to help build your muscle mass faster. Just like creatine, additional protein can give your muscles extra strength, but unlike creatine, the boost won’t be short-lived. And rather than the burst of strength that helps you achieve feats that will, over time build muscle mass, protein will strengthen muscle right away.
- Nitric Oxide. Nitric Oxide can improve your heart and blood function in a way that will give you immediate and long-term positive results. It will improve your overall blood flow and increase the oxygen in your blood, making your body more tolerant to your workout. It can also reduce your high blood pressure or maintain a healthy one, as well as a number of other reported benefits, including: enhancing your weight loss, improving lung function, treating altitude sickness, healing diabetic foot ulcers, and even preventing colds.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is a pre-workout supplement and how does it work?
A pre-workout supplement is a multi-nutrient recipe designed to boost your energy levels and your performance during your workout. They are typically a powdered supplement, but can be a pill or drink, or even a gummy. Though there are countless formulas, and each are manufacturer specific, there are a lot of common ingredients that each will have. The most common is B vitamins for a natural energy boost that won’t leave you feeling jittery. In conjunction with that, pre-workout supplements will also often include caffeine. Amino acids, creatine, nitric oxide, and a sweetner of some kind are the other biggest building blocks that pre-supplements rely on, but each are given in different portions and blends with other ingredients, as well.
The ingredients that are in your pre-workout supplement are each selected to best help you with the common pitfalls of working out and pushing yourself. They’ll include ingredients to sustain your energy and to maximize your strength, endurance, and blood flow. Some will have short bursts and others will have longer-lasting effects to make your workout all the more beneficial.
Of course a pre-workout supplement isn’t necessary to see the benefits of your workout. However, you can maximize your performance and therefore also maximize your results with the addition of a good pre-workout supplement into your routine. They can be costly, but if you’re planning on working out to reach a goal and you have a deadline, the pre-workout supplement will certainly help you get there faster. Additionally, if you find that your workout is cut short or you are completely exhausted before you’re finished, then you may do well with a little “pick-me-up” before your workout that will prevent your energy levels from dipping. And even if you make it through the workout without the ebb in your motivation, you may still find yourself tanking in energy after you’ve completed it. If you want to prevent the crash after you’re done with a workout, a pre-workout supplement will be able to help you slow down after your workout rather than to fall to the ground, beat. The only limitation for your workout should be time not your energy level.
If you take your pre-workout supplement as recommended, then you’re probably safe. You will want to run it by your doctor when you next see him if you’re taking it regularly and especially if you have any other health concerns. The amount of caffeine in most pre-workout supplements is that of about three to four cups of coffee, so bear that in mind if you’re sensitive to caffeine (and even if you’re not, that much stimulant may not be especially good for your heart). The ingredient that can cause kidney concerns, though, is the creatine. It’s meant to enhance your performance during your workout and rebuild muscle deterioration that may occur due to too much strain. However, kidneys have a hard time processing excess creatine and more than what your body normally produces will be excess. It may cause immediate health concerns, but studies have shown kidney problems after years of use. Check with your doctor, but using creatine supplements in moderation or for short periods of time will likely keep you safe.
There are plenty of natural pre-workout supplements that you can take, and most are included on our list. You’ll want to check the label and look for “natural” labels – but be careful. “Natural” is regulated by the FDA to denote a food product that does not have anything synthetic or artificial. This includes color additives – regardless of source (which is the biggest limiting factor by and large, but isn’t a big concern for supplements that aren’t meant to have one color or another). It does not, however, require the same standard for the food processing methods. That is, the animals can have ingested growth hormones and the plants may still have been sprayed with pesticides. “Natural” does not mean anything in determining overall nutritional content and plenty of foods in nature are inherently bad for you. (Though, an adoption of the theory “all things in moderation” will probably still keep you plenty safe.)
If you’re looking for a natural boost for your workout that is not a powder, pill, or drink specifically marketed to you for workout purposes, you can get your work-out’s boost from a cup of coffee, or a healthy breakfast with a lot of good carbs will help you get through the workout. If you struggle with drinking enough water, consider adding a bit of flavor to the water to tempt you further and make sure you avoid the dehydration that can come from a rigorous exercise.
Other Pre-Workout Supplements We Reviewed
We looked at 20 other pre-workout supplements. Even though they didn’t make our 5 best pre-workout supplements list, they’re the best of the rest and each is still a great option for you. The information you’ll need to compare each one is included with the listing.
- Caffeinated Pre-Workout Supplements
- Non-Caffeinated Pre-Workout Supplements
Caffeinated Pre-Workout Supplements
While you used to be able to get this from only direct sales, the manufacturer has branched out and made it available through several venues, making it more accessible than ever. (And considering the reviews and popularity, this is well worth considering.)
- 5 flavor options
- 2 size choices
The ingredients listed in this pre-workout supplement are detailed enough that you’ll never need to worry about what’s going into your body.
- Protein supplement complement available
- 13.7 oz
- 7 flavor options
You’ll be able to ingest your pre-workout supplement easily by a three step process: scoop, stir, drink!
- 9.52 oz
- Strawberry Kiwi flavor
- 100% satisfaction guarantee
This pre-workout supplement boasts an insane increase in strength and a “psychotic results” and while we’re sure you won’t end up mentally disturbed, you will definitely get fast results.
- 7.1 oz container
- 3 flavors available
- Includes L-Citrulline, Beta Alanine, Agmatine Sulfate, and more
To boost your hydration level during your workout and maintain the level from your pre-workout, too.
- Contains blend of 29 fruit and veggie Superfoods
- 1.41 lb container
- 4 flavor options
Because this pre-workout supplement uses no proprietary blends, you can look at the ingredients list and know exactly what you’re putting in your body.
- 2 flavor options
- No proprietary blends
- 296 gram container
This pre-workout supplement is rich in vitamins and minerals to get you through your workout without any ebbs and wanes.
- 2 flavor options
- 30 servings per container
- 100% satisfaction guarantee
With the addition of the rhodiola extract, you can expect this supplement to enhance your mental and physical fitness even in times of stress.
- 7.39 oz container
- Icy blue raspberry flavor
- Improves mental health with 100 mg dose of rhodiola extract
If you have kidney concerns and want to steer clear of creatine, this pre-workout supplement will give you the muscle building formula you need without the creatine.
- 10 of container
- 8 flavors available
- Money back guarantee
This pre-workout supplement is one that will address your body’s excess fat with a thermogenic “shred” formula.
- 4 flavor options
- 8.5 oz container
- Manufactured in the USA
This pre-workout supplement addresses your hydration concerns while delivering a healthy boost of amino acids to keep your body performing optimally.
- 3 sizes available
- 8 flavor options
- Banned substance tested
This is the gold standard for pre-workout nutrition with a burst of energy and focus to make sure you’re powering through your workout without a care.
- 6 flavor options
- 2 sizes available
- 175 mg caffeine
With this pre-workout supplement, you’ll receive intense energy, sustained power pumps, and enhanced power for the duration of your workout.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee
- 2 sizes available
- 10 flavor options
This pre-workout supplement is full of antioxidants and energy to make sure you’ll be able to get through the worst of your workout without any problems.
- 0.36 lb container
- Cranberry Lime flavor
- GMP-certified for potency and purity
The ingredients in this pre-workout supplement are intended to be released in two stage; the initial burst of energy and then a prolonged release to power you through.
- Blueberry lemonade flavor
- 306 gram container
- Money back guarantee
Non-Caffeinated Pre-Workout Supplements
You’ll get a good focus boost with this pre-workout supplement without the jittery feeling you can get from caffeine.
- Sour apple flavor
- 100% naturally flavored
- 11.11 oz container
The customer reviews for this pre-workout supplement are full of positive experiences from those living that keto life.
- 3 flavor options
- 0.66 lb container
- No sugar, calories, maltodextrin, GMO’s, gluten, or artificial ingredients
There are plenty of options in flavor, but you’ll have the same great vitamin blend with or without caffeine, too.
- 14 flavor options; 3 caffeine-free options
- 0.96 lb container
- 100% naturally sweetened and flavored
This supplement is ideal for re-hydrating your body and that means it’s ideal for not just pre-workout but during and after, as well.
- Lemon-lime flavor
- 5 size options
- 110% Daily Value of Vitamin C, B3, B5, B6, and B12
This “no boost” nitric oxide pre-workout is caffeine free, but still has plenty of vitamins to keep your energy levels up for the duration of your workout.
- 15 oz container
- Cherry Limeade flavor
- Gluten and sugar free