Want to conquer your back pain? Or maybe you want to build your abdominal muscles and perfect your posture? An inversion table can do all these things and more. Using an inversion table is said to provide you with all sorts of benefits – from soothing your muscles to realigning your joints. These tables have become increasingly popular in the last few years as their health benefits have become more publicized.
Not all inversion tables are made equal, though. Some inversion tables are very basic, while others come with all sorts of gadgets. To help you choose the best inversion table for you, we reviewed dozens of different products. We considered each product’s durability, stability, height and weight limit, warranty, and customer reviews.
After some deliberation, the Innova ITX9600 Heavy Duty Inversion Table made its way to the top, becoming the best inversion table you can buy. This heavy-duty inversion table comes with many high-end features that improve its effectiveness and versatility.
The 5 Top-Rated Inversion Tables
|Best Overall||Pure Enrichment PureRelief XL King Size Heating Pad||4.1|
|Runner Up||Sunbeam Heating Pad for Pain Relief||4|
|Best Budget Buy||HP Solutions Heating Pad||4.3|
|Best Electric Heating Pad||Nestco XL Heating Pad||5|
|Best Microwaveable Heating Pad||Beady Heat Microwavable Heating Pad||4.5|
*Ratings are from Amazon at the time of publication and can change
Our Top Pick: Innova ITX9600 Heavy Duty Inversion Table
Out of all the products we reviewed, Innova ITX9600 Heavy Duty Inversion Table was by far the best one. It includes a number of premium features that sets it apart from the other tables we reviewed. The backrest pad is one of the largest on the market, and the handles are covered with a soft-touch foam. This product definitely feels premium and high-quality. The True Balance System also allows each individual to find their own center of gravity. It allows you to reverse the ankle holding system so you can adjust it to best fit your needs. There is also a 6-pin angle selection system to provide even more adjustability. You just put the pin in the desired position, and the inversion position will be consistent every time. You can also adjust the headrest for optimal comfort. The height is adjustable from 4’10” to 6’6”. The frame is sturdy and well designed, so you don’t have to worry about it breaking while in use.
The weight limit is 300-pounds, which is higher than most other options. Assembly is required, but it is pretty easy and should only take a few minutes. There is an expert assembly option available for an additional charge if you just don’t want to put it together or don’t think you’ll be able to.
Innova ITX9600 Heavy Duty Inversion Table Key Features:
- 300-pound weight limit
- 6-pin angle selection system
- Reversible ankle holding system
- Soft-touch foam
Our Runner Up Pick: Advanced Heat and Massage Therapeutic Inversion Table
While the Advanced Heat and Massage Therapeutic Inversion Table did not perform as well as our Top Pick, it is still a great option for anyone looking for an inversion table. It features a 6-pin angle selection system, reversible ankle link system, and adjustable headrest for ultimate adjustability and personalization. The padded foam is very soft and does a good job at preventing unnecessary injuries and strains. The ankle holding system also includes padding, but some of the users felt it uncomfortable to use. Keep in mind that the ankle link is reversible, so, if you find it uncomfortable to use, try flipping the ankle link around. The height is adjustable to accommodate anyone from 4’10” to 6’6,” and it can hold up to 300 pounds.
What sets this apart from our Top Pick is its message and heat capabilities. This table comes with a pad that Velcros around the table and massages your back. This can be useful for some people, but might not help others at all. It really depends on the exact cause of your back pain and what you’re trying to accomplish. The heat and vibration can be controlled manually or left to run automatically. Many customers reported that the heat and vibration helped their back where other inversion tables had failed. Of course, this added feature comes with a higher price tag.
Advanced Heat and Massage Therapeutic Inversion Table Key Features:
- Heat and vibration
- 6-pin angle selection system
- 300-pound weight limit
- Soft foam
Best Budget Pick: Yoleo Gravity Heavy Duty Inversion Table
If you aren’t sold on an inversion table or are just on a budget, the Yoleo Gravity Heavy Duty Inversion Table is a good option. It has all the necessary features of an inversion table but comes without the extra bells and whistles that often drive the price up. It includes an extended backrest with lumbar cushions for optimal comfort. After all, no one is going to use an inversion table that is uncomfortable to use. There is also a lower lumbar pillow that can be added or removed depending on your preference. This table features a safety seatbelt that is fully adjustable. There is also a safety lock pin system and precision chuck belt for extra security.
The frame of the table is made with extra-wide tubular steel, making it extremely durable and safe. You don’t have to worry about the frame bending or breaking. It can hold up to 300-pounds quite easily. The height is adjustable to fit your particular body type and ensure an appropriate weight distribution, further increasing safety.
Perhaps the best feature is its double foam ankle holding system. Both sides of the ankle holding system have foam rollers, making it one of the most comfortable inversion tables you can use. Plus, the whole thing folds up for quick and easy storage.
Yoleo Gravity Heavy Duty Inversion Table Key Features:
- 300-pound weight capacity
- Double foam roller ankle holding system
- Safety seatbelts
- Removable lumbar cushion
Best Portable Inversion Table: Gravity Pal Traveler Portable Low Angle Inversion Table
Are you often on the go? Or perhaps you just need back pain relief anytime, anywhere? Portable inversion tables are the way to go for those who travel often or need back pain relief always at their fingertips. Out of all the portable inversion tables we reviewed, the Gravity Pal Traveler Portable Low Angle Inversion Table is by far the best one. It makes travel very easy with its custom-made travel case. It can go with you anywhere, so you never have to deal with a day of back pain again.
But, convenience aside, it’s important to note that this inversion table can only function at a low angle. This should be more than enough for most people, as high angles are often unnecessary for many back problems. The angle is gentle, and no spotter is required. You can use it even when you don’t have anyone around to help you. Still, if only high angles seem to relieve your back pain, this inversion table will likely not work for you.
While this table is more expensive than many other options, you really do get what you pay for. It works well, looks great, and is amazingly portable.
Gravity Pal Traveler Portable Low Angle Inversion Table Key Features:
- Only one fixed angle
- Gentler than other options
- High-quality materials
Best Inversion Table with Heat and Massage: Innova ITM5900 Advanced Heat and Massage Inversion Therapy Table
Depending on your injury, heat and massage can help reduce your pain and prevent further flare-ups. The Innova ITM5900 Advanced Heat and Massage Inversion Therapy Table combines the positive effects of the inversion table with the soothing effects of heat and massage. While many inversion tables come with some sort of small heat and massage pillow, this table has a full spinal massage and heated lumbar pillow built right into the back support. Many customers found that this added system helped them get the most out of the inversion table.
This table also comes with a 6-angle pin slot system so you can easily choose your angle while in the inverted position. Once you find which angle works best for you, you can easily lock reach that exact same angle each time. The ankle holdings are also quite comfortable and ergonomic. The height can be adjusted quite a bit, so you should be able to easily use this table even if you are tall or short. The headrest is also adjustable to three different positions, allowing you to find whatever position works best. The soft foam handlebars are quite comfortable and made out of soft foam. With a true center of gravity, this inversion table is a lot less stressful to use than others as it isn’t as prone to flipping past the necessary angle.
Innova ITM5900 Advanced Heat and Massage Inversion Therapy Table Key Features:
- Full-sized lumbar massage and heated pillow
- 6-pin angle selection system
- Adjustable height
- Soft foam handlebars
Who Needs an Inversion Table
Inversion tables are typically used for helping those with back pain. Inversion therapy cannot fix the underlying cause of back pain, however, studies have shown that it can reduce short term pain. It does this by taking the pressure off your spine, increasing your circulation, and opening up your vertebrae. Many people swear by these machines and say they do wonders for their back pain.
Still, they are not safe for everyone to use. If you have other health problems, you should consult your doctor before using any inversion table.
Inversion tables can also be used for a variety of other purposes. Many people use them for decline situps and other exercises. They can also be used to stretch before or after exercise, and they can even decrease tension, which can make you feel more relaxed. They can even be used to help you wake up in the morning since laying at an angle increases oxygen to your brain.
Important Features to Consider
There are a couple of different important features all inversion tables should have. Here are some things to look out for when buying an inversion table:
- Comfort. Most people use an inversion table for at least a couple minutes each day, so it is important for them to be comfortable. The back support should be made out of quality foam, and the ankle holding system should be comfortable to use. No one wants to use an inversion table that is uncomfortable.
- Safety features. All inversion tables have some sort of safety features, but some have more than others. The more safety features a table has, the safer it will generally be. Of course, not all safety features are made equal. Some don’t work or only provide minimal functionality. Be sure to choose an inversion table that is relatively safe. You should also always use a spotter when using an inversion table that changes angles, just in case.
- Heat and massage. Heat and massage can do wonders for back pain. Naturally, many inversion tables include heated and massaging pillows or backrest to help users’ back pain even more. That said, not everyone finds this feature useful or necessary. If you’re using the table for something other than back pain relief, obviously heat and massage aren’t going to be necessary for you. Of course, not all heat and massage systems are made the same. Some vibrate more than others and some heat up faster than others. Many inversion tables only come with small massage and heated pillows, while others have a whole heat system built into the back padding.
- Stability. Any inversion table you get should be stable. An unstable inversion table is likely to flip if you’re using it, which can be dangerous, even with a spotter. With an unstable table, it can also be difficult to maintain the same angle, which can make inversion therapy difficult.
- Angle Options: Most inversion tables come equipped with a set number of angles. The majority of the top 5 inversion tables have 6 angles, but some might even have as low as one angle option. The more angles you can try, the more likely an inversion table is going to help you. Generally, the more angles you have, the better.
- Adjustability. Any good inversion table will be adjustable to your specific height. Otherwise, the inversion table is not going to function correctly and could possibly injure you. Be sure an inversion table can safely accommodate your height before you purchase it.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is an inversion table and how does it work?
An inversion table is a platform you lay on that flips you to a negative angle. This takes off some of the strain from your back, increases blood flow to your brain, and increases overall circulation. The scientific evidence of this is mixed, however. Still, some studies support the use of inversion therapy for short-term pain management.
Of course, you should always talk to your doctor if you have back pain, as inversion therapy will not treat the underlying cause of the pain itself. Instead, it is simply a tool that many people find helpful for pain management.
Are inversion tables dangerous?
They can be if you don’t use them properly. You should always have a spotter when using an inversion table, just like any other workout or stretching equipment. However, many inversion tables come with tons of safety features that make them very safe to use.
With that said, inversion tables are inappropriate for some people with specific health conditions, including high blood pressure. If you have any questions about your health and using an inversion table, be sure to talk to your doctor.
How long should you stay upside down on an inversion table?
You should start with sessions that are only a minute or two long. Then, increase the time as you feel comfortable, up to a maximum of 5 minutes. Many people start out using an inversion table every day until their pain subsides and then cut back to using it only when they have pain. You might find that you need to use an inversion table every day or just once a week. Feel free to experiment to see what works best for you.
Are inversion tables good for lower back pain?
Inversion tables can take the pressure off your spine and increase your circulation, which has been shown to decrease back pain. However, it is important to note that inversion therapy is only capable of short term pain management; it will not fix your underlying back problem.
In order to get to the root of your problem, it is important to work with your doctor, especially if you have a back injury or history of back pain. While you work on fixing the underlying problem, an inversion table can work wonders to improve your overall quality of life.
Other Inversion Tables We Reviewed
We also reviewed 20 other inversion tables. Even though they didn’t make our 5 best inversion tables list, they’re the best of the rest, and each is still a great option for you. The information you’ll need to compare each one is included with the listing.
Best Portable Inversion Tables
Bigzzia Gravity Heavy Duty Inversion Table
Bigzzia’s inversion table uses high-quality materials including a high qualified memory foam for backrest, easy reach adjustable ratchet ankle locking system, precision chuck buckle and safety lock pin system which makes the table more secure and safe when inverting. Certified for safety, it has a 3-angle position adjustable rear crossbar for easy inversion and eliminates the typical strap system.
- Easily adjustable to suit most user heights
- Max user weight is 300 lbs.
- Portable, extra wide tubular steel frame
Body Vision IT9550 Deluxe Inversion Table
This table features an adjustable and removable lumbar support pad that can be adjusted to target lower, middle, upper back as well as shoulders and neck-along with a removable headrest pillow. The sur-lock easy in/out ankle support system with 4 adjustable high-density foam leg rollers help to prevent calf pinching while inverting.
- Accommodates users 5’1″ to 6’6″ with a 250 lb. weight capacity
- Foldable space saving design also locks for convenient storage, portability, and safety
- non-marring floor caps ensures maximum stability on an unlevel floor
Body Vision IT9825 Premium Inversion Table
This newer model of an original table features a foldable space saving and locking design with built-in transport wheels for convenient storage and portability. It also has a convenient 4 position side inversion pin, allowing for quick & easy selection of any degree of inversion positions without the use of a lower strap.
- Contemporary rounded heavy-duty gauge steel tube frame
- Accommodates users 5’1″ to 6’6″ with a 250 lb. weight capacity
- Adjustable and removable head pillow and lumbar support pad
Tough rubber non-skid floor stabilizers and a dual-safety lock to fix the adjust bar help prevent this table from shaking while in use. It also has an adjustable safety pin for easy positioning and safer inverting over strap systems, reducing back stress and stimulating circulation.
- Height adjustment from 4.6 ft to 6.4 ft and 300 lb weight capacity
- 3 adjustable inversion angles (120, 150, 180 degrees)
- Steel tube frame with memory-foam nylon backrest
This table offers multi-protection safety including an adjustable foot platform, safety belt, non-slip nuts and mat, protective pedal cover and cap, sponge foot cover, and secure handles.
- 3D backrest to relieve pain
- Height adjustment from 4.82 ft to 6.5 ft
- Double lock mechanism
Ironman iControl 400 Disk Brake System Inversion Table
This heavy-duty table is 1.5″ square and has steel frame construction to prevent any instability when inverting. It features IControl which allows the user to lock the table at 180-degree vertical inverting position and a stretching bar is included for users who want to fully stretch their back muscles.
- User weight capacity of 275lbs
- Backrest is 1.5 inches of thick, soft foam
- User height adjustments from 4’10 to 6’6
Teeter EP-560 Ltd. Inversion Table
This high-end table features 8 acupressure nodes in varied heights for trigger-point release and focused relief as well as a lumbar bridge with adjustable arch for added traction and support. It has a 300 lb, 4ft 8in-6ft 6in user capacity, and easy 5-step assembly.
- FDA registered
- Patented wrap-around ankle cups
- Heavy-gauge steel parts with patented security features
Best Folding Inversion Tables
Best Fitness BFINVER10 Inversion Therapy Table
A spring-loaded safety strap allows you to glide quickly and safely from an upright to a fully inverted position on this table. The padded nylon backboard and adjustable ankle cuffs provide comfort and support at all angles.
- Simple, two-pin collapse-and-fold design
- Adjusts to fit users from 4 ft 10 into 6 ft 6 in
- Supports up to 300 lbs.
Exerpeutic 475SL Inversion Table
This table has a 4-angle position adjustable control pin with cover included for safety as well as a double lock mechanism, making the table more secure and safe when inverting. It has a 350 lb weight capacity with full loop foam covered handlebars make it easy to return to the upright position.
- Accessory holder included
- Patent pending airsoft ankle holder
- 2 position headrest
Exerpeutic 975SL All Inclusive Extra Capacity Inversion Table
This table has the US and international patented iControl Disk Brake System which is easy to lock and unlock at any angle. It also has easy reach, palm activated SURELOCK adjustable ankle locking system as well as a double lock mechanism making it more secure.
- Patent pending airsoft ankle holder
- Weight support up to 350 lbs.
- Accommodates users 4’10 to 6’6
Innova ITX9700 Inversion Table
This model features an adjustable true balance system that allows each user to find their own unique center of gravity. The six-angle pin system allows users to easily, safely, and consistently have a good inversion experience.
- Adjustable memory foam lumbar pad
- Adjustable headrest
- Accommodates users 4’10 to 6’6 with a 300 lb. weight capacity
Innova ITX9900 Heavy Duty Deluxe Inversion Table
This table has a true balance system with a six-position angle adjustable pin and added protective cover for easy positioning and safer inverting. Improved ergonomic ankle holding system with large front holder and smaller rear holder alleviates the pressure on ankles while inverting.
- Adjustable air lumbar support
- Accommodates users from 4’10 to 6’6
- 300 lb. weight capacity
IRONMAN Gravity 4000 Highest Weight Capacity Inversion Table
This table features its own patented easy reach, palm activated adjusting ankle lock system and non-skid floor stabilizers that provide stability when inverting. It also comes with a foldable waterproof PVC equipment mat for floor protection and noise reduction.
- Extended backrest with lumbar pillow
- Extra-long safety handles
- Supports up to 350 lbs.
Teeter FitSpine LX9 Inversion Table
This FDA-registered table has a boarding platform with arched form, making mounting and dismounting easier than ever. It also comes with a Getting Started DVD and Free TeeterLink App that tracks activity and offers guidance.
- Acupressure nodes for trigger-point release
- Convenient storage caddy included
- Aerospace-grade stainless steel ankle lock handle
Best Heat and Massage Inversion Tables
Goplus Heavy Duty Inversion Table
This massage inversion table has a removable vibration heat and massage pad made with the latest technology, as well as an extra-long locking arm to minimize back bending when entering or exiting the table. It can be folded up for easy storage and transport.
- 4 adjustable oversized high-density foam leg rollers
- Maximum bearing capacity of 300 lbs.
- 3 adjustable angles
This adjustable length table features a remote that controls heat as well as 2 massage modes, 3 massage intensity levels, and either a 5- or 10-minute massage. It has built-in wheels for easy transport and folds for easy storage.
- Made of waterproof, easy clean leather
- 3 adjustable angles
- Removable heat and massage pad
Health Gear ITM4.5 Adjustable Heat & Massage Inversion Table
This table features a remote-controlled multifunction heat and vibrating massage pad that can be adjusted to target lower, middle, upper back, shoulders, and neck. It has a sure-lock easy in/out ankle support system with 4 adjustable oversized high-density foam leg rollers to prevent calf pinching.
- Removable and adjustable heat and massage pad
- Memory-style foam backrest with a removable headrest pillow
- Easy height adjuster and 4 position side inversion pin system
Health Gear ITM5500 Advanced Technology Inversion Table
This table is equipped with an easy to use, integrated hand controller which allows you to customize your massage by adjusting heat, time, and intensity. It provides ultimate support with its heavy-duty steel frame and has built-in transport wheels for portability.
- 4-inch-thick memory-style foam backrest with contour fit
- Foldable space saving design
- Removable, lightweight massage and heat pad
IRONMAN IFT 4000 Infrared Therapy Inversion Table
This therapy table delivers health and therapeutic benefits of Far Infrared Heat therapy to your back through ultra-thin carbon fiber heating elements in the backrest. F.I.R(Far Infrared Ray) heat delivers health and therapeutic benefits to your back by penetrating deeper into the human body, without the skin discomfort.
- LED display control of F.I.R Heat Therapy
- Inverting Hand Grips
- 350 lb. weight limit
Merax Vibration Massage & Heat Comfort Inversion Table
The removable massage pad in this table is designed to relieve tension with heat and vibration massage, and serves as a gentle reminder to stop inverting when the massage and heat stops. The strong steel tubular construction provides optimum durability and can support users up to 300 pounds.
- Easy fold and roll design
- Adjustable height and 3 pre-set inversion angles
- Made of ultra-thick, high-density foam