The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) states that nearly 70 percent of the drug overdose deaths that occurred in 2018 involved an opioid.1 They add that 130 Americans die every day from an opioid overdose caused by both prescription and illicit opioids.
While state health departments work to increase prevention efforts, many individuals are seeking alternative products for pain relief. The CDC notes that an estimated 20.4 percent of U.S. adults had chronic pain in 2016, while other studies estimate the prevalence to range from 11 to 40 percent.2
Chronic pain has been linked to restricted mobility, opioid dependency, anxiety, depression, and reduced quality of life.3 In a recent 2019 study, researchers stated that it’s a “common, complex, and distressing problem that has a profound impact on individuals and society.”4 The Global Burden of Disease Study in 2016 confirmed that the prominence of pain and pain-related diseases is the leading cause of disability and disease burden worldwide.5
In seeking relief, thousands of people have turned to kratom, an herbal leaf from a tree that grows naturally in Thailand and other parts of Southeast Asia (Mitragyna speciosa). Powders and extracts from the leaves have compounds that affect opioid receptors in the brain, potentially providing anti-inflammatory and analgesic effects.
Are these supplements safe to use? It depends on the vendor. Currently, there is little oversight into how companies are manufacturing and processing these products, so it’s important to make sure you’re buying from trusted retailers.
It’s also important to be careful with your intake. There is some evidence that because of the opioid-like action of kratom, it can cause addiction in some people, so it’s best to start with low doses and to use them only as needed. In general, follow these dosing guidelines, and always start with the lowest dose to see how your body responds:
- Minor pain: Less than 2 grams for mild but noticeable effects.
- Moderate pain: 2-4 grams for more moderate effects on pain.
- Severe pain: 5-8 grams can help relieve severe chronic pain. This is a high dose so use only when necessary.
On the other side of the coin, we have evidence that kratom may help treat certain health conditions, including pain, with a much lower risk of addiction compared to opioids. According to a recent 2020 survey by Johns Hopkins Medicine researchers, kratom likely “has a lower rate of harm than prescription opioids for treating pain, anxiety, depression, and addiction.”6
To help you choose a quality kratom pain reliever, we recently examined several of them, looking at purity, quality, reliability, testing, and ease of use.
The Red Vein Borneo strain is one of the best for relieving pain and anxiety and is perfect for beginners.
We’ve identified the Kraken Kratom Red Vein Borneo as our top pick. This form of the red vein strain can help relieve pain while providing a pleasant calming effect.
The 5 Top-Rated Kratom Products for Pain
|Best Kratom for Pain Overall||Kraken Kratom Red Vein Borneo||4.5|
|Best Kratom for Non-Drowsy Pain||Evergreen Tree Green Malay||4.5|
|Best Kratom for Chronic Pain||Buy Kratom Bulk Red Maeng Da||4.6|
|Best Kratom for Fast-Acting Relief||Kraken Kratom Red Maeng Da Thai||4.7|
|Best Kratom for Relaxing Pain Relief||Super Speciosa Red Bali||4.6|
*Ratings are current at the time of publication and can change.
Best Kratom for Pain Overall: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Borneo
The Red Vein Borneo strain is one of the best for relieving pain and anxiety and is perfect for beginners.
The Kraken Kratom Red Vein Borneo contains about 750 mg of kratom powder, with 50 capsules consisting of about 37 grams total in one package. If you’re suffering from chronic pain or even occasional pain and are looking for an alternative to over-the-counter pain relievers, give this one a try.
An alkaloid-rich variety grown in the heart of Borneo’s rainforests, Red Vein Borneo is a nicely balanced form of kratom that’s very popular for its calming influence. While easing pain, it can help you unwind and release tension, while quieting your mind and giving you a sense of well-being. The powder is conveniently pre-packaged into capsules, making it easy to add natural pain relief into your day.
You can enjoy peace of mind when buying from Kraken Kratom, a family-owned company headquartered in Portland, Oregon. All products undergo quality assurance analysis, as the company is an American Kratom Association (AKA) GMP Qualified Vendor. That means it must complete an annual independent third-party audit to ensure its compliance.
Reviewers love this relaxing supplement and say the capsules provide an easy way to enjoy the benefits of kratom.
Kraken Kratom Red Vein Borneo Key Features:
- Red Vein Borneo strain perfect for pain relief
- A strain is gentle enough for beginners
- Conveniently pre-packaged in supplements
- American Kratom Association (AKA) GMP Qualified Vendor
Best Kratom for Non-Drowsy Pain: Evergreen Tree Green Malay
Enjoy soothing pain relief during the day with this kratom that helps stimulate energy and focus.
Green kratom has a reputation for being more stimulating than red kratom, which means you can use it to relieve pain during the day when you need to retain your focus and attention. Unlike other pain relievers that tend to cause drowsiness or relaxation, green vein kratom enhances alertness, balancing pain relief with its mood-boosting effects. Some people also report it helps in social situations, allowing them to feel less stress when engaged in social events.
This Evergreen Tree Green Malay includes 100 percent green Malay kratom packed in a pharma-grade, food-and-drug compliant container. Using the powder, you can mix it with hot water for tea or make your own capsules with the accessories available on the site. You can also mix the powder with your food (applesauce and ice cream are good options) or beverage (chocolate milk), or simply take it straight and wash it down with water or another liquid.
Evergreen Tree performs three types of lab testing for every batch of products it receives from Indonesia, to make sure your products are of high quality. Reviewers love the long-lasting effects of this powder and find that they can achieve benefits with low doses.
Evergreen Tree Green Malay Key Features:
- Provides pain relief without drowsiness
- Long-lasting benefits help boost focus and alertness
- Finely ground powder can be taken in multiple ways
- Raw ingredients undergo three levels of quality testing
Best Kratom for Chronic Pain: Buy Kratom Bulk Red Maeng Da
For more serious, ongoing chronic pain, this red Maeng Da product is a more powerful strain meant for managing pain that never seems to go away.
If you’re suffering from fibromyalgia, arthritis, cancer pain, or other types of ongoing, miserable chronic pain, try Buy Kratom Bulk Red Maeng Da. The Maeng Da strain is one of the most popular for pain management because it has increased concentrations of the active components, which make it more effective for many users.
The uniqueness in Maeng Da is that it was specifically bred to have higher concentrations of the two active alkaloids in the plant, making it a higher-potency strain. Gold maenga da is the most potent, but it’s best to start with the more gentle red strain until you know how it affects you. The good news is that you are unlikely to feel drowsy with this product, which means you can use it to relieve chronic pain while still going about your regular daily activities.
This particular Red Maeng Da is brought to you in its purest and most authentic form. Buy Bulk Kratom sources its kratom from the forests of Southeast Asia, and provides products in small and large sizes, so you can stock up if you want to.
Buy Kratom Bulk Red Maeng Da Key Features:
- Potent pain relief without drowsiness
- Increased concentrations of the active components
- Available in capsules of 250 grams to 1,000 grams each
- Sourced from farmers in Southeast Asia
Best Kratom for Fast-Acting Relief: Kraken Kratom Red Maeng Da Thai
If you need fast relief from a pounding headache or other types of acute pain, give this pure red strain from Thailand a try.
There’s nothing worse than a fierce headache or muscle pain that interferes with your day. Send the pain away with Kraken Kratom’s Red Maeng Da Thai. These capsules include the original Maeng Da Thai Kratom leaf finely powdered and packaged into sterile resealable bags for your serving convenience.
Thai strains have a reputation for acting quickly, and the red vein strain also tends to speed relief more than green or white strains. Thailand’s tropical climate is perfect for promoting higher concentrations of the active alkaloids in the plant, and Thai kratom is known for its potency. Red vein Thai Kratom leaves are the oldest of all the colors and are usually found low on the tree. The aroma is considered invigorating, so feel free to make this one into a tea if you like.
Kraken Kratom says that this strain is one of their most popular, and reviewers love the high quality and consistency. As noted above the company is an American Kratom Association (AKA) GMP Qualified Kratom vendor, and prides itself on producing quality, pure products.
Kraken Kratom Red Maeng Da Thai Key Features:
- Fast-acting strain provides speedy relief
- Thai strain known for its fast-acting properties
- American Kratom Association (AKA) GMP Qualified Kratom vendor
- Available in sizes ranging from 28 grams to 455 grams
Best Kratom for Relaxing Pain Relief: Super Speciosa Red Bali
This soothing red Bali strain helps you ease pain and shed the stress of the day while allowing your body to relax before bed.
This popular strain of kratom comes from Bali in Indonesia and is known as a gentle form that has both sedative and analgesic effects. It has a strong aroma and is high in 7-hydroxymitragynine, one of the active alkaloids that has a potent relaxing effect. Don’t use this for an energy boost, but rather for those times when you need to relax without the pain keeping you awake. The plant compounds work on the brain’s pain receptors, promoting the release of neurotransmitters that help increase the body’s tolerance to pain, so you notice it less.
The Super Speciosa Red Bali Capsules each contain 600 mg of kratom powder, and you can choose how many capsules you want in the jar: 60, 180, or 360. The capsules contain no additives or fillers, just the ground leaf. The company is an AKA GMP Qualified Vendor, so you know they’re following strict quality standards. They also provide you with a QR code so you can check the lab certificates to see how the product performed in laboratory tests, which check for contaminants, heavy metals, and adulterants.
Reviewers say they notice feeling better after taking this product, and note the capsules provide a nice convenience when traveling away from home.
Super Speciosa Red Bali Capsules Key Features:
- A relaxing strain of red Bali kratom relieves pain while easing stress
- Gentle kratom capsules work for beginners too
- AKA GMP Qualified Kratom vendor
- Available in jars containing 60, 180, or 360 capsules
If you’re struggling with pain and you’re worried about the side effects of taking over-the-counter or prescription pain relievers, give these kratom products a try. Meanwhile, you may also want to check out some CBD products for pain—we reviewed several to come up with our Best CBD Gummies for Pain.
Healing Daily uses only high-quality sources, including peer-reviewed studies, to support the facts within our articles. Read our editorial process to learn more about how we fact-check and keep our content accurate, reliable, and trustworthy.
- Understanding the epidemic. Cdc.gov. Published March 19, 2020. Accessed November 20, 2020. https://www.cdc.gov/drugoverdose/epidemic/index.html
- Dahlhamer J, Lucas J, Zelaya C, et al. Prevalence of chronic pain and high-impact chronic pain among adults – United States, 2016. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2018;67(36):1001-1006. https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/67/wr/mm6736a2.htm
- Defining the prevalence of chronic pain in the United States. Nih.gov. Accessed November 20, 2020. https://www.nccih.nih.gov/research/research-results/defining-the-prevalence-of-chronic-pain-in-the-united-states
- Mills SEE, Nicolson KP, Smith BH. Chronic pain: a review of its epidemiology and associated factors in population-based studies. Br J Anaesth. 2019;123(2):e273-e283. doi: 10.1016/j.bja.2019.03.023
- Vos T, Abajobir AA, Abate KH, et al. Global, regional, and national incidence, prevalence, and years lived with disability for 328 diseases and injuries for 195 countries, 1990–2016: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2016. Lancet. 2017;390(10100):1211-1259. doi: 10.1016/S0140-6736(17)32154-2
- Natural herb kratom may have therapeutic effects and relatively low potential for abuse or harm, according to a user survey. Hopkinsmedicine.org. Published February 3, 2020. Accessed November 20, 2020. https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/news/newsroom/news-releases/natural-herb-kratom-may-have-therapeutic-effects-and-relatively-low-potential-for-abuse-or-harm-according-to-a-user-survey